dashed dreams

May 9, 2007 at 4:50 pm 5 comments

I am not…REPEAT NOT a shopper. Before those of you who know me well beg to differ, let me clarify: I am a BUYer. My husband is a SHOPper.  Oh, I shop all right. And, it’s enjoyable. But you gotta know I am not there just to look. I AM buying SOMETHING. It may not be big. But, I am buying something, otherwise, why bother leaving the house?  I spoke yesterday about our youngest being just like her father regarding high expectations, and crumbling if those expectations are not met. Okay, now here’s MY own tilt on the EXPECTATIONS issue: DO NOT talk about buying something and then start back pedaling. DO NOT let me get all my energy moving towards a big fun purchase, and then pull a stop sign out.

For instance:  I thought I was getting a new car last year.  Thought I was gittin’ shed of the blue-hair blue minivan. It’s a lovely minivan. I sooooo would not have picked silver-blue.  Old men drive silver blue vehicles.  (Not young, spunky sorts like myself.) But, it was such an awesome deal, I just dealt with it.  Van’s got lots of space. Rides heavy.  Smooth,  great ride.  I don’t want a mini van. I know what I want.

Now, the hubbie likes to shop for cars. So, we went looking for something else for me to drive. I found what I wanted. The hubbie was on board…We got in there with the sales guy to negotiate prices, (another thing I completely despise, by the way) and long story short– we left in the blue-hair blue van. Truly I’ve done the best I can about trying to just put getting a new car out of my head. I am trying to simply be happy and satisfied, and try to enjoy the positive aspects of being a minivan driver. I mean, afterall, I can seat seven in my van. There’s lots of space in there. I can seat seven in there. Wait, I already said that.

Here’s another example:  Ohhh, wait… first a bit of set up so you can fully understand my situation.  We’ve had a dog for seventeen years.  Our seventeen year old, blind, deaf, collapsing trachea suffering , kidney disease stricken, chronic intestinal issue plagued, perpetual eye infection having, senile Yorkshire Terrier died a couple of months ago.  We told Maggie, “Bordeaux was old, and he died.”  But the whole truth is we had to have him euthanized. And, honestly, we waited too long.  But, never having dealt with that issue before, we just couldn’t bring ourselves to put him down. We just kept thinking, surely he would go on his own soon. He wasn’t in pain til the very end.

Our four year old wants a new dog. She really, really, really wants a new dog. Every time we come in contact with anyone’s dog, she is immediately at its side, petting, hugging, and holding it, whether the dog likes it or not. And, a minimum of twenty minutes of hysterical crying and begging ensues when she and the dog must part ways.  So, we’ve been discussing whether or not we wanted to get another dog. And, KEY in that decision is whether we’re getting another INSIDE dog. We’ve been out of the inside dog business for four years.  This is because, as our dearly departed Yorkie’s health started failing, he had to adapt to an outside environment to keep our house from being destroyed.  And, please note, he made it perfectly fine out there. He had an electric blanket in his dog house in the winter.   So, we’re completely out of practice on the UPKEEP it takes to have an inside critter.

Now back to the subject of my angst:  Terry says to me at Maggie’s graduation Monday night, “Ms. Caldwell (one of the preschool teachers) has a really handsome Yorkie.” Then he tells me to ask her where she got it. So I did. Then yesterday, I called the store where Mrs. Caldwell had gotten her Yorkie. And, the sales rep I talked to said they’d just gotten Yorkies in yesterday! She told me they hadn’t even put them out in the show room yet ‘cause they were giving them baths! Awwwww! Bathing sweet little Yorkie puppies! Ohhhhh-weeeeee!   So, as you can see, I was completely ready to purchase. Ready to go! I’m totally not caring that we’d have to house train an animal and that we’ve never done that before (Bordeaux arrived house broken. He was a pound puppy.) I was totally romanced by the idea of sudsie clean Yorkie pups. I was completely on board for a new pooch…indoor model.

So, I called to tell my husband the wonderful news….I told him all about the new arrival of the Yorkie pups who were getting a bath even at the very moment of our phone call!  I said, “Maybe we should go without the kids first.” To which Terry replied, “Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don’t wanna do it. I don’t wanna do it.”  So, naturally, and with poorly-masked aggrivation and frustration in my voice, I’m sure– I asked him whyyyyyy it was that he had me to get the info on where Mrs. Caldwell had gotten her handsome Yorkie.  Then he said I was supposed to balance him on things like this.  He said when he’s excited about the idea of getting another dog, I’m supposed to be the voice of logic. When I’m excited about the notion of getting another dog, he’s supposed to be that voice.  Then he began rattling off something about puppy poo, pee, and puke…and I said, Okay. I don’t wanna talk about it anymore.”

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hhhhhhhe’s probably right.

Entry filed under: critters, Uncategorized.

our pint-sized graduate tick, tick, tick…BRrrRrrRRringggggggggg!

• 1. pcase  |  May 9, 2007 at 8:26 pm

Okay, you knew I’d comment on this one.

Here’s what I know.

1. You ARE a buyer.

2. You ARE NOT a minivan driving person, although you currently are a person who just happens to drive a minivan.

3. Bordie really was a great dog – and no family cared more for a dog’s well-being than you guys did… inside AND outside the house.

Here come’s “momma logic” LIVE from the Music City:

Girl, don’t look toward the light. Look away, look away.
    I don’t care how cute, how cuddly, how precious when they are soaking in a bath …. turn away! I’m having visions of a pillar of salt.

All that said, coming from a person who has two chiquaquas, one himilayan cat and an african grey parrot – house pets are literally for the birds. We are putting our bird up for sale before we put our house up for sale next year. We’re married to the rest of the minagerie – until death do us part. But can’t say we’ll replace them when they hit pet heaven.

If you must cross over, make it an outside pet. The three P-letter words do much better in that outside environment. Protect your home. Protect your sanity … and your marriage!

• 2. Mel  |  May 9, 2007 at 8:26 pm

This story sounds SOOO familiar, I have never been able to put my thoughts into words as well as you, but let’s just say I really, really can relate, REALLY!
    P.S. Puppy woes only last a little while compared to the joy and fun a dog is with and for your sweet pint-sized graduate. I am a sucker for puppies though………crates are great little investments that help reduce some of those issues…….most of the time anyway!

• 3. Regina Vietmeyer  |  May 10, 2007 at 1:59 pm

I have way to many typos in my last entry. Sorry about that, I’m supposed to be working.

• 4. Regina Vietmeyer  |  May 10, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Okay, here’s my two cents for what it’s worth. We have one indoor puppy named Stubbs who is Ka best friend in the world. She talks to him and he sleeps with her. He follows her everywhere she goes (even to the bathroom) and they are cute when they fall asleep on the couch. We got him as a companion for her and he has held up his end of the bargain and then some. I wouldn’t trade him for the world.

On the other hand, my “big dog” loving husband decided we needed a big dog for the rest of the family so we recently purchased a Char Pei/Lab mix. He is the sweetest dog ever, but he likes to come in the house way more than I like him in the house. He is like having a horse running around in your living room. The first couple of weeks were crazy with training him, but after that, he has been a breeze and a fun loving guy to have around.

So here’s my rub… puppies can be a pain, but the love and fun they provide are well worth the time invested. Sorry Terry, I can’t be the voice of reason…I’m a pet lover.. Go ahead fall in love with a Yorkie.. you won’t regret it!

• 5. susan  |  May 10, 2007 at 10:23 pm

i have one slightly used jack russell terrier, 6 years old, diabetic, OCD, paritally house broken, that you could have. FREE! REALLY!