hussie cain’t even make biscuits

July 14, 2007 at 2:45 pm 6 comments

My daughter, Maggie, and I like to make biscuits.  She’s VERY into making biscuits. She can tell you exactly what goes into the recipe, even down to the proper amounts of each ingredient. My Granny would be proud.  Granny Sims held the ability to cook in pretty high regards.

Once when Granny was in the hospital, a nurse came in to check on her. She was just as nice as could be to my grandmother. And, Granny was gracious to her while she was in the room. But just as soon as the nurse left, Granny had a thing or two to say….like, “Hhhhhhhhhussie! That woman’s after my James! Did you see how she looked at him?” My mother was there for this incident. She did her best to convince Granny that the nurse was not making any moves on my grandfather. But, Granny wouldn’t hear of it. “Heh! Bet she cain’t even make biscuits.” And, to Granny, y’all—that was apparently about the worst thing you could say about a woman.

(Needless to say, I have MADE SURE that both of my girls CAN make biscuits.) And, if any of you need a lesson, I’d be more than happy to pull you out of the depths of my Granny’s disdain.

Homemade biscuits are EASY to make, and every southern lady ought to know how.  My mother taught me. And although, my Daddy liked to claim that he taught Mama how to make biscuits…I believe the whole truth of the matter is that a lady named Annie who kept Mama and her sisters while growing up (as well as kept their house up), was very likely the one who taught my mother that all-important skill. (Sorry ’bout that, Daddy.)

Entry filed under: the daily grind.

sudoku jethro honey, I’m home

• 1. Spring  |  July 15, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Tracey, I do agree that every Southern woman needs to learn how to make biscuits! My grandma was quite disappointed when they came out with those individually frozen biscuits that run a close race with her homeade ones!

So glad that your bloodwork came out normal! I too, had my check up with Dr. Greg. I discovered that I have been taking my allergy medicine wrong and that is why I have to take OTC stimulants to knock out my allergy symptoms. He told me to take the Allegra daily and quit taking OTC drugs and my heart will quit racing! Greg also talked to me about turning 40 and told me that if life is a football game, I am in the 2nd quarter and now I have to change my play strategy to get to the end of the game. I am comforted that I have not made it to half time yet! Well…God only knows that! Greg also said that he has a patient who is 84 and just returned from Antartica which was the end of his goal to visit all 7 continents! Wow! I need to have more goals!! My life list of things to do needs to be redone! The only two I haven’t done yet are skydiving and learning to speak French fluently.

• 2. Regina Vietmeyer  |  July 16, 2007 at 9:45 am

this phrase has always cracked me up. we have talked about this many times in the past… and of course I know how to make biscuits… I am truly a southern girl.

glad to hear all is well with the doc visit. it’s tough turning 40, but the best is yet to come! have a great Monday!

• 3. Mel  |  July 17, 2007 at 11:46 am

Guess I’m gonna have to come down there to your place and learn how to make biscuits. Now, my husband can make buscuits of course, but I’ve learned to deal with the fact that he makes pretty much everything better than I. The Lord knew what He was doing when He put us together b/c I don’t like to cook that much, so we make a great team! So thankful everything checked out okay at the Doctor. I’m praying for you!!

• 4. Leigh Ann  |  July 17, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Hey Trace!!! You for sure have to teach me how to make some buscuits! I think the bagged ones are truly fantastic 🙂 Glad all your bloodwork came back good.. now just take it easy and take care of yourself!! Love ya!

• 5. Stacey  |  July 17, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Hey girlie. Why didn’t I know about the bloodwork before now???? Anyway, I’m glad all is well. Take care, I’m here if you need me.

I have to say, I make some pretty good biscuits when I take a notion. “MARY B’S” just makes it too easy to grab a few out of the freezer and pop ’em in the oven.

Love ya!

• 6. Aprille Roberts  |  July 19, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Tracey, haven’t visited here in a few days. Good to hear that your lab work went well!

I just have to say on the whole biscuit thing that my mom has no idea how to make biscuits unless they have a peel off piece of cardboard and when you pull it you hold the name “Hungry Jack” in your hand. My parents were all about some canned biscuits, and they passed that on to me. My dad does not care for homemade biscuits, and he is a southerner – something is very wrong with that. However, my mom loves them! But, since he didn’t care anything about them she didn’t care to learn how to make them! My husband, on the other hand, is passionate about some homemade biscuits, and I have learned how good they are in the wonderful years of my marriage. His mom was fortunately a biscuit-making pro! And I have learned accordingly. I believe my mother-in-law even said one night during supper (breakfast for supper) that I had made the best biscuits she had ever put in her mouth! Slap a blue ribbon on my chest, that made me pretty happy! She died last September and there are so many other things that I wish I could have learned from her before then. She was a really fabulous cook!