surely not

August 20, 2007 at 7:15 pm 5 comments

I am so glad that I ate such a dietetic lunch only to come home and blow it on chips and Deluxe Grahams. Stress feeding. But, oh my, I’m sorta spazzin’.  Here’s why:

Jessye has to pass off all her half-time show music for band by Friday (by memory) or else she doesn’t march…and from what I understand it would be that she won’t march THIS YEAR if she can’t manage this task. Why? Because there is another sax player that has JUST joined the band, and supposedly they don’t have a place in the show for another sax. So, somebody’s not gonna march. I’m sorry, but I don’t think that’s right. MAKE A PLACE for another player in the show, or don’t accept anymore players. That’s ridiculous! Now, I agree that everyone should be dilligently working on memorizing the songs for the show. But, I don’t think we should be not allowed to march all season if she can’t do it all by memory this week.

I’ve got an email in to the band director to make sure Jessye hasn’t made more of this than it is. Surely she’s got some of the details wrong. Surely he’s not gonna keep one of the sax players who’s been to band camp, sweatin’ it out in the 100+ heat for two weeks from marching in the show, but will let some new kid who did not do the time march instead. SURELY NOT, y’all! But, I’m kinda freaked, ’cause Jess has made it clear that she does NOT know her music by memory yet. In fact, she’s having trouble with some of it, even with the music right there in front of her. So, terrific. We’ve got probably three hundred bucks sunk in this organization so far, (NO REFUNDS, y’all)…and if she can’t pass off the show music by Friday, she won’t march. And I will say this: If she doesn’t march, she’s NOT gonna be in the band because I am definitely NOT paying any more money towards a nearly $1800 band contest trip to New Orleans for Jessye and Terry this January if my child will not be marching. Hello?

And, folks, I’ve got to apprise Terry of this situation when he comes home tonight.

Soooo not lookin’ forward to that.

Entry filed under: ranting and raving.

let there be light! fauxpoo

• 1. Mel  |  August 20, 2007 at 8:45 pm

I’ll be praying with all of you on this one! It sounds like a lot of stress and lots of pressure for sweet Jess. Keep me posted!
    Love,
    mel

• 2. Regina  |  August 21, 2007 at 1:47 pm

I am so sorry. I hope Jessye just misunderstood because I don’t that is right either. I have never heard of such a thing.

By the way, do you have any news as of yet? This will drive me crazy until I hear what the band director says..

Keep the faith!

Love ya!

• 3. tm  |  August 21, 2007 at 2:44 pm

No news yet. I’m starting to wonder if he’s going to bother responding to my email, even. Terry and I were talking, and have come to the conclusion that if this is turns out to be some “motiviational technique” to scare them into getting the music to memory, then we are not pleased with that either. I just don’t get it. I mean, I know life is not fair, okay. I understand that. But, I just think this is not right. So, I really hope Jessye just didn’t understand some part of what was said. Ya know?

• 4. Aprille Roberts  |  August 22, 2007 at 12:21 pm

I think that is really, really wrong!!! If you have had to ENDURE and PERSERVERE through a band camp you absolutely have every right to march that season for the entire season. If somebody was just not showing up to practices that would be different, but to knock out one of the kids who has done all the work to make a place for someone who got to skip it all just makes absolutely no sense! Will be praying for ya’ll! Maybe it was just a misunderstanding.

• 5. pcase  |  August 22, 2007 at 5:46 pm

Hey gal – I sure am hoping this is a simple misunderstanding.

Does that band director dude have a cell phone? I’d be calling him up.

From one band mom to another – I am struggling with this one on your behalf! After many years under the leadership of Gary Merritts here in the middle part of the state – and now under the direction of the awesome Dr. Dan McNalley, I’ve never seen anything quite like what you have described.

Our new guy, Dr. McNally, is all about the students learning the music – and the theory behind it. But I don’t see a whole lot of threats going on with our band students. Instead, it seems that our students are responding better to the amazing encouragement and calm demeanor in which he has instituted his deadlines.

There are a million ways to incorporate a “new student” into the program without booting out a hard-working, dedicated young lady who has been through the toughest part of the training.
    Not to mention how this could do “long term damage” to Jessye on how she feels about music! Yikes, what a horrible thing!

Girl – keep me posted – heck, pick up the phone and call me on this one. Curious minds want to know!

Love ya,