daddy daily; volume 2

May 28, 2008 at 10:36 am 7 comments

I think Daddy was pretty much exhausted yesterday. Mama said she was told that he worked really hard in physical therapy yesterday, and was just worn out.

When I arrived last evening he was eating his supper. I stopped by a store and picked up a pint of butter pecan ice cream (his favorite), and a bag of bite-sized Snickers. He really seemed to enjoy the ice cream. He was full before we got to a Snickers. He fell asleep almost immediately once we got him back to his bed. I waited til about 7:20pm in case he woke up again, and finally went on home. He is feeding himself. But, I can’t tell if he is having trouble seeing the plate, or if it’s just that his motor skills are not right and he can’t always get his fork to find the plate. But, one way or the other, there are difficulties there.

I printed a poster sized sign with Bible verses that I hope will inspire and encourage Daddy. I’m not sure he’s able to focus enough to read them. But, maybe he can. I want to try to help him keep his spirits up and keep a positive attitude. I really think that’s a lot of it. He’s got will power. He’s just got to muster it all up and put it towards working with the therapists so he can get stronger. We are all praying. I hope and pray that he will soon show signs of restoration. It is soooooo hard to see Daddy like this. I’ve said this before, but it’s like he’s trapped. His brain and his body are not in sync with each other right now. And he just wants to go home and be at his own house with Mama. But, he’s just not ready for that physically yet. It is heart breaking to behold.  Mama simply cannot take care of him by herself, and I know full well that he would not want to go back for physical therapies if he were home already.  He underwent this surgery for a chance at returning to normalcy, and instead he is currently in worse shape than he was before the surgery. It has been 12 days since his surgery. Dear God, please touch and heal him!

Susan thinks he may not be able to see well anymore. He had surgery to correct his vision years ago, and it was 20/20 the week before surgery. Not sure what the problem is now: lack of motor skills, lack of ability to stay focused, or vision issues. Could be combination, I guess. We’d requested that an optometrist come in and check his eyes. One came last night, and I wish he hadn’t. That doctor was nothing short of RUDE. Talked to my Daddy like he didn’t have good sense!  He seemed angry, annoyed, and in a big hurry. When he left I reported him to the nurse on duty, who confirmed that she had witnessed the doctor’s behavior.

After conferring with Mama by phone, I called the rehab center back and asked the nurse to note our complaint on Daddy’s chart, and stated that we do NOT want THAT particular doctor back to see Daddy again…that he is not to be in that room at all. Ohhhhhhh! That just burns me up all over again thinking about it! Ya know, is recovering from brain surgery not difficult enough without having a rude, hateful doctor come in and treat the patient like he thought he was stupid??????

Quite frankly, if I had not been concerned that Daddy would somehow be aware enough of my words to be embarrassed about them, I probably would have marred my witness last night. I wanted to stomp that doctor. His behavior was completely unacceptable. I will be reporting him to the director of the rehab center as well as to the hospital CEO per the suggestion of the nurse on duty last night. I could tell that she was only too glad to tell me the people to whom I should report this grievance. I feel sure this isn’t the first time she’s ever seen this sort of stunt pulled by that particular doctor.

Today is the first team meeting with all Daddy’s therapists and care takers to discuss his progress. We will have a printed report of their initial assessment this afternoon.

Entry filed under: emotional episodes, the daily grind.

reporting on J.R.’s physical therapy: “Daddy Daily”; volume 1 daddy daily; volume 3

• 1. Aprille  |  May 28, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Thanks so much for the update Tracey. I was afraid I was going to weary you with my constant texting requesting an update, so I have been awaiting the update on here. We will continue to pray. I’m so sorry that a DOCTOR treated your dad that way, that is just awful! Way to maintain that witness though. You go girl. I love you and will continue to remember your dad in my prayers. I know you are probably getting discouraged, but please know that we are all praying, and that most of all God sees and knows the entire situation, and he loves your daddy more than even you do. I hope things get much better really soon.

Love you!
    April

• 2. Kim  |  May 28, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Just letting you know that we are thinking about you and your entire family Tracey. Believe me, we are never given anything we can not find a way to handle it!!! This will only make you stronger for your Mom and Dad. You know to call me if you need me!!!

• 3. Etta  |  May 29, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Still praying for ya’ll. Remember that His grace is sufficient and His power is made perfect in weakness.
    Sorry that doc was so rude — he definitely sounds like an EGR (extra grace required). Good for you for rising above his behavior.

• 4. Bunny  |  May 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Hi, Tracey, Talked with your mom for a while this morning. It seems your schedules of staying with your dad are good so that each of you will get enough rest. I know it is so difficult and slowww but remember faith is not always seeing what is going on but to trust God is working. “Good for You” about the doctor. Have been there and done that. A lot of people do not know they have the right to keep doctors from seeing their family. Remember these times are not coincidental they happen for a reason. Pray specifically . That’s how you start “praying without ceasing”. Will keep in touch and pray constantly for you all.

• 5. Paula  |  May 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Thank you for sending me the update. I was able to pull it up at home. We are praying for all of you. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do. I love you, Paula

• 6. Vickie Spell  |  May 30, 2008 at 9:14 am

Tracy, I am praying for your family!

Vickie Spell

P.S. You have a God given talent with your paintings.
    Lets talk about some for my home when your father gets better.

• 7. Teena  |  May 30, 2008 at 11:53 am

Paula forwarded your report to me. I have been getting updates from mom also. We are praying for y’all, and hope that he will be home soon.

Teena