gave my nail tech a piece of my mind

December 29, 2008 at 3:35 pm 7 comments

First let me say that I was NOT ugly about this. I was just frank, okay. There IS a difference.

The other day I was in getting my gel nails filled, and the gals who work in the shop started chattering in Vietnemese. I swear, y’all. Vietnemese is just comical to listen to; is it not? It’s all I can do to not start laughing if I actually concentrate on all the gutteral utterances, and crecendos and decrecendos in their dialect. So, I sat there about five minutes, wondering as I usually do about what horrible things they might be saying about me or the other ladies getting their nails done…PAYING their salaries! And then it happened. I finally broke my silence.

“OKAY!” I said, “Y’all are gonna have to CUT THAT OUT! I can’t understand a thing you’re saying, and you KNOW how I like to join into conversation! This is just NOT workin’ out for me at all! I just know y’all are saying how you can’t believe how I’ve put on weight! So you may as well go on and admit it!”

They laughed…the other customers laughed. It was all really quite hilarious, I guess. They said they’re all family in there and that they don’t talk about the clients. They’re talkin’ about family junk.  So, I said, “Well, surely I’m NOT the only one who’s ever said this to you! I guarantee you I am speaking for every non-vietnemese speaking customer you’ve got. We all think you’re talking about us. I mean, if it’s not abo0ut us, then quit speaking in a language we can’t understand!”

Of course, I presented it all in a very jovial tone. And, they all chuckled. It did seem to  curtail the foreign language output for that visit. But, a week later I brought Jessye in, and it was back to the usual ching chong chatter.  (I can say that if I want to. My husband is half oriental.)

And  I can just imagine what they were saying then:

Ohhhhh grrrrrreat. It’s that fat white woman who tell us not to speak vietnemese. And she bring daughter now. I wonder if daughter a b_ _ _ _, too?  hahahahahahaha

Entry filed under: ranting and raving.

did ya think i forgot about my blog? pics of my new office lobby…ain’t it perty?

• 1. pcase  |  December 30, 2008 at 6:19 pm

You are killin’ me with this one. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Elaine goes to have her nails done. Same thing… except the nail techs WERE talking about her. Remember that she brought George’s dad with her the next visit since he served in the Vietnam war and understood the language. A great episode. We’ve all been there!

• 2. pcase  |  December 30, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Oh, and after reading your post to Joe, he asked that I wished you, Terry and the girls a “melly chlistmas” and fah ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra!

• 3. pcase  |  December 30, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Enjoy!!

• 4. Billy McCord  |  December 30, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Tracey you are way too sensitive. I cannot imagine anyone thinking of you as a fat old white woman.

• 5. Billy McCord  |  December 31, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I meant -I meant to say “Can’t imagine you being fat or old. Does this sound better?

• 6. Aprille  |  January 7, 2009 at 10:11 am

Tracey, I love this story. This is one of the main reasons I do not get my nails done – I feel totally humiliated because I just KNOW they’re saying awful things about me – LOL!

Did you read on my blog “A Christmas Story”? I completely felt like we were in that scene from “A Christmas Story” where they had to go to the Chinese restaurant on Christmas day because that is what we did this year. Good times – good times…

Love you!